Can kidney disease
There are many things you can do to help reduce your chances of developing kidney disease.
Adopt and maintain healthy behaviors.
- Be physically active.
- Eat a healthy diet, low in fat, salt and sugar.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Avoid tobacco products.
- Avoid overuse of over-the-counter pain medicines.
- Drink plenty of water to help flush out your kidneys.
Control other health problems.
Know what your target ranges (best numbers for you) should be.
- If you have diabetes, keep your blood sugar in your target range.
- Keep your blood pressure in your target range.
- Keep your cholesterol and other lipids (fats) in your target range.
- If you have frequent bladder infections, take steps to prevent them and get treated quickly.
- Take medicines as prescribed.
- Know what your target ranges (best numbers for you) should be.
- Get your yearly physical exam, and ask your doctor to check your kidneys.
Prevention is important at every stage of kidney disease. If you have kidney problems, work with your doctor to prevent them from getting worse.